Sunday, April 05, 2009

Puppy's first class


I took my puppy to her first obedience class on Tuesday. It was interesting, as there were only two puppies, and three mommas there. The other puppy belonged to one of the most tense people I've met. She and her mother, whom she dragged along, both shrieked (really - no exaggeration) when our puppies jumped on each other and started to play. Our puppies are within one pound of each other, mine being a little bigger, and yet you really might have thought that I had let my Great Dane puppy attack her Yorkie if you judge by the noise they made.

But really I learned several things from my first puppy class. I learned that I need to make sure that I always walk through a door first - this tells the puppy that I'm in charge. Also, to solidify my 'alpha' status I need to put food in her dish when she can see me, and only allow her a limited access to the food. I got a clicker, which Tali almost immediately linked with food treats, and then I taught her to focus on me and not the treat in my hand. She's a very quick learner, my little rocket dog. We are working very hard on walking on a leash without pulling (and also without dashing under my feet and either tripping me or getting broken legs). You know, it's a lot harder to have a small dog than I thought. It's nice and convenient and all that they take up less space. Unfortunately, that also means that they're much easier to break when they get underfoot... which is always.

I haven't gotten to practice much with her this week, poor thing. She went for spaying and hernia repair the next day, and hasn't been quite as perky... which is to say that she only jumps 1 foot straight up in the air, as opposed to 3 feet. If I didn't have 3 active boys who already want to join every sport under the sun, I'd think about training her for agility. I might do it anyway... just because I like a challenge.

No comments: