Sunday, August 06, 2006

Life's a Beach

Well, the vacation's over, and it's back to the real world, so to speak. We had a really wonderful, family bonding experience. Every day was about 95% good behavior from the kids. I was pleasantly suprised. I got the benefits of gossip from the high school reunion without actually having to go. We visited family on our way from one place to another. We spent 3 days on the beach with no major sunburns. The whole vacation was a rousing success. The DM and I discussed making camping trips be a yearly event, and dreamed of someday RV'ing around the country. We experienced major attacks of "the grass is greener" all week, as I touched on in my last post. We saw some beautiful houses on lakefront property. The lake is so big, looking out on it is the same effect as looking at the ocean. We drooled. We dreamed. I was meant to be a beach girl. But speaking practically I've never wanted to live near the ocean, California has the earthquake issue, the Gulf and Southern East Coasts have hurricanes, and further north is too cold. (As an aside I do currently live on the New Madrid fault, which I hope to rectify before the big one) So we dreamed. How can you say no to the view, the water gently lapping against the shore, the gentle breezes, even the spectacular thunderstorms? Then we came home, and my pragmatic mother told me all about houses falling into the lake due to erosion, and the lack of good jobs in little tourist towns, and reminded me how very very cold it gets in the winter. She's always waking me from my best daydreams. I suppose everyone needs someone like that... Someone to keep you solidly grounded in reality.I need all the help I can get. Flights of fancy are my specialty.
On our last night in the tent, one of those spectacular thunderstorms blew in from over the lake. It was amazing. I was sure I was going to die. I love thunderstorms from the relative safety of my house. Listening to the thunder, and feeling it shake the ground while in a tent is a completely different matter. Lightning was striking all around us. The boys slept through it like it was nothing. Only mama mushroom laid awake, counting seconds between flashes and thunder, and trying to remember that the likelihood of getting hit by lightning is very low. It took a concentrated effort not to run for the truck. It helps to have someone (or in this case some three) to be brave for. That, and I knew that daddy mushroom would just laugh at me. Fear of looking foolish wins out over mortal peril.
I have some scrapbooks to compile, and if I had anything important to say, I've forgotten what it might have been. So long, good night, enjoy the pictures, and thanks for all the fish.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, gMM, what great pics. Need I remind you that there are plenty of nursing and teaching jobs right here with me? The ocean is a only 45 mins away and its not so cold in the winter.

Come on in, the water's fine!

Unknown said...

You know... When I'm done with school I may very well take you up on that... We'll talk in 18 months or so.

Unknown said...

don't toy with me!!! I can't take it!!!!

I'll see you next summer!!!!!!!!!!!!