Monday, August 14, 2006

She's Here!

Welcome to the world Madi! My niece was born today. Nineteen inches, 6 pounds 3 ounces. For those with no source of reference, that's pretty teeny tiny. I must say she is the fourth cutest baby, and the sweetest looking little baby girl I ever saw. I only got to see her a short time tonight. I had to come back to put my own baby mushrooms to bed. My sister said she thought she was going to die, but she managed to get through it. She got an epidural, and strangely enough it made her itchy, so they had to give her Benedryl. Beside the fact that she hadn't slept for thirty six hours or more, the drugs were making her even loopier. Poor kid also hadn't eaten in twenty four hours either. All I can say is that it's an amazingly good piece of engineering that the same hormones that induce labor inhibit memory, or no woman would do this to herself more than once. Even more clever is that the gush of hormones that come with breastfeeding and other baby-bonding make such a nice high, that you actually find yourself wanting to do it again. Nature knows what she's doing.

Pictures to follow.

3 comments:

LeperColony said...

Out of curiosity, are smaller babies easier to deliever than larger ones? I mean, it would seem (to me at least) that the mothers would have a "lighter" ordeal with a smaller kid, but then again I have no frame of reference.

Unknown said...

Wow gMomma Mushroom! I didn't even know your sister was pregnant....

Congratulations!!!!!

Do show some pics when you can.

Unknown said...

Yes, smaller makes it easier. My oldest was 6 pounds 7 ounces, my second 8 pounds five ounces and had a big head too boot, and wow! I could definitely tell the difference. But either way... not a walk in the park.