Monday, August 19, 2013

Ah Monday

It was a long weekend. I managed to squeeze in a run, 8 miles - not nearly as long as I wanted, but I ran out of time. Today I was going to try to make up a bit and do a 10 mile-run, but once again I depleted all my daylight hours being at work, then racing home to pick up my 9-year old for our ice skating lesson (yes that's right 'our'), and then a few blissful moments in my garden - picking lettuce and herbs for our dinner.

Tomorrow will be endlessly busy as well but there will be a run built in - I started a group (being creatively challenged, I named it 'Bartlett Runners - Colorado Division, after the fabulous group I left behind in Memphis). I created it to be just like the Bartlett Runners. We meet once a week, run four miles, stick together, encourage each other... well, that's the idea anyway. So far, only three other people have come, and not all at the same time. But I remain hopeful that my group will grow into something approximating the original Bartlett Runners - because those are the people that inspired and encouraged me to become a runner and cheered me through the Memphis-St. Jude Marathon, the inaugural Bourbon Chase, and countless 5ks and 10ks. Even here in my new home, I've continued to be inspired to run new races - the Garden of the Gods 10 miler most recently, and coming up the Bear Chase Trail Run, and the Rock-n-Roll Denver Marathon.

But more exciting than all that is the ING NYC Marathon - not only because I will be going to NYC for the first time ever, but because I will be raising money and spreading the word about a cause I feel very passionately about. Stroke and TIA awareness. Stroke is the 4th leading cause of death in the US - and 80% are PREVENTABLE! Not to mention that stroke is a leading cause of devastating disability, and 80% of those are preventable too. I think of my new friends and acquaintances that live with the sequelae of stroke, and hope that maybe something that I do might save someone from having to live with the disastrous effects of stroke.

I know that right now not a lot of people read my blog. But those who do - I'd like to know if you've ever raised a lot of money as a fundraiser and what did you do? Comment please!

Also: please visit my fundraising page here. The National Stroke Association and I both will appreciate it!

No comments: