Thursday, August 22, 2013

Multitasking - Meaning I'm not accomplishing anything...

It's late, and I'm very tired. And I'm trying to fold laundry while composing a blog post in my head. Like most times I try to multi-task, I'm really not acheiving much of anything. The laundry is staying stubbornly unfolded, and the blog is not writing itself.  I've not managed to learn how to type with my toes yet, nor have I succeeded in growing even one extra arm. Like most mothers and nurses - I will continue to try, as I feel it would be a very useful thing to achieve.

Marathon training continues, although today was a rest day. Yesterday I did some speed work with a speedy (compared to me, anyway) friend. We charged up several hills (felt like about 50), and got a couple of good sprints going - in the spirit of a 'fartlek' <-- favorite="" my="" of="" one="" p="" running="" terms.="">
Tomorrow I think I will be doing about 7-9 miles, though I haven't yet figured out how to fit it in my already very busy day. Although it is rapidly approaching midnight, I think I will have to get up at 5am, drive to work and run from there.  Conveniently I have had my privileges for the fitness center renewed so I can shower.  Truly, there are not enough hours in a single day to work full time, be a mom, train for a marathon, learn to ice skate and play piano... and the other dozen or so things I've committed myself to lately.

Today I started at 6:30 at the skating rink with a 30 minute private lesson and 30 minutes of practice. I felt more than a little goofy, practicing my 'Basic 4" moves while kids half my age are zooming around like the Olympians-in-training that they probably are. Colorado Springs being an Olympic town has both upsides (never an end to amazing, inspiring athletes all around) and downsides (I will never win a single medal unless it's a 'participation' medal). But, I have fun and that's all that matters.

Today I found a blog; here, that I love. It is called Our Stroke of Luck, it is is the blog of a mother whose son had a stroke in utero and nearly died, and it is amazing. And it gives me one more reason to run, one more reason to raise money for National Stroke Association - because by funding research we can learn what causes even unborn children to have strokes, and prevent them from happening.

Now I must sleep... for a few, short, and hopefully deeply satisfying hours. Visit my fundraising page, and help me make a difference!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you so much for your kind and generous words. Thank you as well for your generosity of spirit in supporting Stroke research. It's people like you that give me hope... Jamie

Unknown said...

Thank you Jamie for sharing your story, and for reading my blog!

Mark T said...

Your looking young as ever. So do you still throw-up in your mouth when you think of me & John?

Unknown said...

No, Mark. Distance and perspective mean I think of you fondly.... most of the time. :) Glad to see you reading my blog, too.