Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Back in the saddle

It's been quite a while since I wrote here.  Life has changed, as it does. I have a new job, my husband has a new job and a new degree, my baby isn't so much a baby anymore, and my oldest will be starting middle school in a week or two. We live in Colorado these days - I'm convinced it's the most beautiful place on earth. But, I haven't been many places.

A lot is the same though. I'm still a nurse. I still run, knit, and love to write. And it is because of a fortuitous  intersection of my career and one of my hobbies (running) that I have swung back into the 'saddle' of blogging.

I work with the stroke program in my hospital. My title is stroke nurse. It's a lovely, nebulous sort of job for which I do a variety of tasks to make sure that people who have strokes get the best treatment available. Two weekends ago I had the immense privilege of volunteering at a Stroke Survivor & Caregivers Retreat. It was amazing, and refreshing for me and the survivors and caregivers equally, I think.

Last week I learned of an opportunity through the National Stroke Association, a great organization, to run in the New York City ING Marathon as part of their fundraising team. I'm not very fast, so I'm not confident I could ever qualify by time - though I am motivated to work on that... but that's a different story. The point is, I applied more or less on a whim, and got a spot to run the Marathon in NYC this year.  It's amazing. I'm ecstatic.

And that's what has me blogging again. I'm training for real for another marathon - no copouts allowed. And I want to get faster while I'm at it. Not to mention I'm on the hook for raising at least $3,000 for the Stroke Association while I'm at it. But that's great because I've really come to realize what a worthy cause stroke prevention, research, and education is. Those inspiring people that I met two weeks ago that live with the effects of stroke deserve everything I can give.

So for at least a while this blog will be the journal of my marathon and fundraising success. Because only success is an option.

Oh! Before I go to sleep, I want to give a shout to @jennamurphymusic with a big congrats for her new (and first) full-length album. She's an artist I discovered on Twitter, and I like what I've heard very much. So check her out! http://blog.jennamurphyofficial.com/post/58162639862/everyone-i-am-so-happy-today-i-have-just

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Kat. I watch you & your blog in wonder! You are inspiring!