Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I Get By With a Little Help...

Well, I wanted to run today. On my training calender it's a crosstraining day. But I hate crosstraining. I wanted the clarity of the long road. But there were children to be fed, and papa mushroon was home late after a school function - so instead I did some rather half-hearted crunches, leg lifts, pushups, bridges and stretching while the children watched 'Rio'. Tomorrow I have been roped into leading an early meeting - and I've never been much of a morning runner anyway.  I'm thinking of playing hooky for my lunch break and getting in some miles in the middle of the day. This could be my new Thursday plan. (insert evil laugh) Having relinquished my 'real nurse' status for a data abstracting desk job does have some perks. The nine-to-five life isn't so bad after all, when it's flexible enough to fit in a long afternoon run. After years of wondering why anyone would give up the glamorous life of an ICU nurse I finally have my answer. It's for the perks of a flexible day schedule.

I did get some mildly bad news today. My stroke fundraising within the hospital will have to be word of mouth. I cannot publish anything in the hospital newsletter, or have an event or anything. They can't stop me from asking my friends, but I can't put up any advertisements or flyers. I'll just have to work a little harder to reach out in other areas.

On the positive side, a great friend of the family has offered me a place to stay in NYC - and she lives   right by the finish line at Central Park... sweet deal. Another great friend offered to come be my roadie.  I really love my friends.

Today I've been listening to The Civil Wars newest release all day.  It's left me feeling somewhat emotionally drained, in a cathartic way.  I do hope these two amazing artists can reconcile and make more beautiful, raw, emotionally-charged music together. Here's a link to the iTunes album:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-civil-wars/id656406080


No comments: