Friday, August 16, 2013

Tired of Being Tired

Another missed opportunity to run today. I came home from work with the intention of running.  I even changed into my running clothes. But inertia reached out and grabbed me. I ended up laying down, got up half-heartedly to help cook dinner (I wasn't very helpful) and then as it happens every night the post-dinner rush to get the kids in bed happened and before I really knew what was going on it was dark outside. And as rural an area I live in, I don't tend to like to start my runs in the dark - finish maybe, but not start. Hard to see the rattlesnakes in the dark... (irrational fear? perhaps...)

Also, I have been reading to my kids every night again. It's one of my favorite times of day. We are reading The Lost Hero, by Rick Riordan which my boys are loving. Even the (nearly) 3 year old will sit still for a few minutes to listen. I do some minor acting, changing my voice for the different characters. It's harder with this book, since I've never read it I can't always tell whether I should be sarcastic or serious or funny or what - but since it's a book full of teenagers, sarcasm is usually a good guess. I have the feeling that for our next book we may end up returning to The Hobbit, a precursor to the months it will take me to read The Lord of the Rings aloud to them. At some point I will have to have them read back to me at bedtime. I hope they will still let me read to them when they are old enough for the stories of Neil Gaiman (Stardust, my favorite, Neverwhere, American Gods, The Ocean at the End of the Lane). Not that they can't handle the language or most of the situations, but I don't really fancy reading them sex scenes at this point... or probably ever.

I have a secret project. As if I need more things to do than raising four boys, working full time as a nurse, training for two marathons (and a half), fundraising for the National Stroke Association, starting running and knitting groups, writing this blog, gardening, ice skating lessons, piano lessons, and sometimes horseback riding lessons. Right. So, I'm also writing A Book. Isn't everyone these days? It's a fantasy - and it's really long already, with no end in sight. I haven't visited my fantasy world in two days, and I miss it. I'm not a disciplined writer. All my favorite authors, when talking about writing, say 'write every day'. Easier said than done, but I try. Even Stephanie Meyers claims she was able to write while distracting her kids with Blue's Clues. (yes, I read and actually did enjoy Twilight - it's far better than a lot of the tripe that followed in her vampire-loving shoes, though I DO understand that is debatable) Too bad my kids are past the Blue's Clues stage. Maybe someday I will finish and share it with the world. Maybe someday some people will read my blog besides just family and close friends. A girl can dream.

So - go check out the National Stroke Association website, and learn some life-saving information about strokes. And check out my donation page, every dollar helps! Meanwhile, I'm going to go write some fiction and fall asleep. Tomorrow, I run!

No comments: