Sunday, July 09, 2006

Late Night


This is a picture from a year ago on our trip to the windy city, of Kaj and Eli. And here...


is the adorable baby mushroom, Saul. Saul seems to be feeling ill tonight. He's very fussy, which is why I'm still awake posting on my blog at 1 in the morning. Forgive me if I ramble.

Kaj and Eli are enjoying their summer. It's been pretty nice weather. We keep getting nice, cool weather blowing in from the north so temperatures haven't hit the ungodly highs we usually get. By this I mean that it's only been in the low nineties, with relatively low humidity. All through the summer, I dream of winter. Then it arrives, and I'm depressed by the grayness of Memphis.

In a few weeks I'll be returning to the Midwest. Ten years since high school. Can't say I miss it. I'm not going to the reunion. Only one person I care about will be there, and I've already arranged to meet her away from the 'party'. I'm really not bitter, though I'm sure I sound like I am. I just really don't care what happened to any of the people with whom I went to school (with the exception of one). I was one of those unfortunate girls in high school, too smart and independent for popularity. I spent all four miserable years certain that I was the only one with body odors, facial blemishes, an extra five pounds, and frizzy hair. I have since accepted all of these things about myself, but it was one of those journeys of self-discovery that I'd rather not repeat.

We'll be taking Saul on his first camping trip that week. There are so many things I want to teach my boys, and an appreciation for 'the great outdoors' is one. When they are older, I want to take them on the AT. I watched a PBS show once about people doing the whole AT, and while I thought they were pretty nuts I also remembered how amazing it was backpacking in the Andes. It was only for a week, but it was one of the best experiences of my life. I'll have to scan in some pictures, and tell the full story sometime.

Daddy Mushroom is going fishing tomorrow. He's fully embracing his inner redneck. He recently got a big ol' F-250 Diesel on lifts (which means that the runner to step into the truck is above my waist, and Eli can pretty much stand up under the truck). Some have even said he's trading in his 'furriner' accent from a southern one. I know I'm losing my Midwestern perfect diction for a nice little twang. My 'I' sounds like 'ah'... at least a little bit. But no worries, they haven't got me wearing makeup or shouting 'hallelujah' in the choir yet.

Ah... the baby has fallen asleep at long last. Off to bed with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As the proud "grammy" of these young mushrooms, I love this! Keep it up!