Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Twenty-Eight and Feeling Great

Due to some sort of genetic abnormality (I'm sure), I Ioathe the part of my birthday where people ask me what I want. Even if I had just been thinking five minutes earlier how much I would like item X, when asked I can only stare blankly, as if I had temporarily forgotten the English language. The best I could do this year? A vacuum. I honestly asked for a new vacuum for my birthday. And I got one... a sexy red thing that looks more like a rocket than an implement for cleaning floors. Boy does it suck!

I suppose this reflects a return of my ability to think of things other than the baby. Good timing, since tomorrow I go back to work. Three months off made a nice little vacation, but I really can't say I'm looking forward to returning to the drudgery that is customer service. I can't express how determined I am to really finish school this time, and actually find a job that uses my education, and pays enough for it to matter whether I work or not.

One of the biggest disappointments in my life has been that not only did college not give me all the answers, it really didn't prepare me for real life either. When you are young, you think that college is going to provide you not only with all the knowledge you need to succeed in the business world, but also all the life experience to propel you into that mystical realm called 'adulthood'. As if when you receive your diploma, the Almighty will flip the cosmic switch in your brain from 'adolescent' to 'adult' settings. Well, if it happened for anyone else, it sure didn't happen for me. I'm still the same, hopelessly inept, impractical dreamer with maybe a bit more self-esteem.

I have trouble thinking of myself as a married, twenty-eight year old mother of three. Sometimes I think I might go to sleep and wake up ten years ago, and all of this has been a dream. Ahhh... the things I would do differently. Like that particular pick-up soccer game during which I blew out my knee and spent basically a year in pain... I think I'd skip that, given the chance. I'd also go straight for the nursing degree, and leave out the six years of customer service. (though my short stint at the zoo was fun)

Anyway, here's the latest cute baby picture. Saul gets cuter every day. He's started to play. He regularly finds his fingers and gets them to his mouth, and he shows increasing interest in reaching out to grab toys or faces that get within his arms' reach... even pulled my hair the other day.

3 comments:

LeperColony said...

My great disappointment with college was a little different than yours. I went hoping to meet a better class of people. Smarter people, who would prove more challenging and rewarding than the great mass of vertebrate degenerates otherwise known as high school students.

My hopes were not fulfilled.

Anonymous said...

Man, I am kicking myself for forgetting about your blog....

BUT!

Without College, we never would have met! In other news, I have recently come to the conclusion that if I were to go out looking for work, I'd never know what I qualify to do...Was it really 4 years wasted???

Unknown said...

No no... I neither regret college, nor feel I wasted time really... After all, I met some wonderful friends and a husband there. It just didn't meet my expectations of providing me with all life's answers and flipping my switch to 'adult' from 'adolescent'. Everyday at some point I find myself somewhat suprised to be twenty-eight, mother to three, and I still enjoy Disney cartoons over any other movies, and once in a while I wish I still had my 'Little Ponies' to play with. Oh, and swinging on the jungle gyms at the park is still suprisingly fun.