Monday, July 10, 2006

Some Thoughts on Sports



World Cup Disappointment

I've been watching as many of the World Cup games as I can. Since I refuse to pay for TV there have not been that many games, soccer being the under-appreciated game that it is in the US. I did get to watch the final games, Germany's resounding win over Portugal, and the Italian triumph over France. And up until the final minutes of the final game, it was a satisfying tournament. If you haven't heard, then you probably don't care. But it was in those final minutes that Zinedine Zidane brought home to me exactly why I don't want my boys to idolize sports figures. After some comment by an Italian player (apparently known for being nasty) Zidane turned around and head-butted the player in the chest. I thought I was shocked and disappointed then. This morning I read that not only has he been welcomed home as a hero (not terribly suprising, a country generally protects its' own) but he has also been awarded the Golden Boot by FIFA. Disturbing. Here we are, holding up a man as an example to children around the world and rewarding him as top player in the world. He attacked another player. It is really depressing, the people we hold up as examples. I want my boys to play sports. I want them to play well, maybe even good enough for scholarships. I just hope there are better men to show them. DM never fought on the court. Goodness knows he gets pushed around enough. One night he came home with his shorts half ripped off. Some hack tried to stop him by grabbing his shorts. But that's church leagues... anyone can play. You'd hope that the pros could be a little more in control.

No comments: