Sunday, July 16, 2006

A Serious Honor

I have been entrusted with my father's transitional object, otherwise known as his blankie. His grandmother knit it for him when he was born. He's had with him his whole life, even took it to college. It has, predictably, begun to unravel. For some reason he has entrusted the intimidating honor of repairing his 'precious' to me. Apparently he thinks my mom might just throw the old thing out... he could be right, except that a debilitating disease called packratitis afflicts my family, it could also be called throwitoutophobia - fear of throwing anything away, ever. So whatever the reason, I now have in my possession a great treasure in need of repair.

It's a nice blankie. I hope I can do it justice.

2 comments:

LeperColony said...

Ah, packritis. I suffer from it too. But damnit, it took me a long time to accumulate all my junk, I'm not throwing any of it out!

Unknown said...

Yes, but when packratitis extends to saving tubes from paper towel rolls....